Citizens from EU/EEA

The page was last modified:

Are you considering starting a company or selling your services in Sweden? As an EU citizen, you have the same rights and obligations as a Swedish entrepreneur.

EU citizens do not need a residence permit

An EU citizen has the right to live in an EU country which is not their country of origin, as long as they can support themselves. This means that you can stay in Sweden without a residence permit. You also have the right to start and run a private business.

In order to be registered in the Swedish Population Register (Folkbokföringsregistret), you need to move to, and intend to live in, Sweden for at least one year. In addition, you must provide evidence that you have a right of residence or a residence permit for at least one year. When you have been registered with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) you will receive your personal identity number (personnummer).

Personal identity numbers and coordination numbers at the Swedish Tax Agency

Contact the Swedish Tax Agency

When you apply for F-tax and VAT registration at the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket), you will need to send a certified copy of your passport or another ID document. You will then be allocated a coordination number by the Swedish Tax Agency. This is a temporary personal identity number, which you may need for different applications in Sweden.

Registering a business at the Swedish Tax Agency

If you plan to reside in Sweden for more than 12 months you will need to register at the Swedish Tax Agency. When registered, you will receive a personal identity number (personnummer). This number is unique and is needed for tasks like registration for social insurance at the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan).

The Swedish Social Insurance Agency

Family members from a country outside of the EU

If you have family who are citizens of a country outside of the EU, they need to apply for a residence permit if you wish to bring them to Sweden. In order for your family to be granted residence permits you must be able to show that you can support yourself in Sweden through work, studies or with sufficient means.

Residence permit at the Swedish Migration Agency

Did you find this information helpful?

Responsible: Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth

Back to top