Get started – trading or limited partnership

The page was last modified:

A trading partnership is an alternative if at least two natural persons or legal entities wish to start a business together. There is no requirement to invest capital, although the partners are personally, jointly and severally, liable for the company's debts.

Company registration

1. Register with the Swedish Companies Registration Office (Bolagsverket)

A partnership must always be registered with the Swedish Companies Registration Office. Following registration, the company is allocated a corporate identity number, and receives protection for its business name. The company has exclusive rights to the name in the county in which it is based. It is possible to protect the name in other counties by making additional registrations with the Swedish Companies Registration Office.

Register a trading partnership (apply online)

How long does it take to register a trading partnership or limited partnership, and how much does it cost?

See current processing times for registering a trading partnership or limited partnership on the Swedish Companies Registration Office website

See fees from the Swedish Companies Registration Office

If your application is rejected

The Swedish Companies Registration Office can decide not to register your company name. In that case, you can choose a new name or add information to your application that will enable your company name to be registered. 

If you want to appeal their decision, follow the instructions in the decision.

2. Apply for F-tax and VAT registration

The company must then register with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). The company needs to apply for F-tax and VAT registration and, if relevant, register as an employer.

As a partner you must complete a preliminary self-assessment. Based on this tax self- assessment, the Swedish Tax Agency decides on your preliminary tax.

Businesses and employers at the Swedish Tax agency

Register F-tax and VAT (apply online)

3. Other permits

There might be other permits or applications that you need to consider when starting your business.

In our permit search service, you can find permits by category or in our alphabetic list. You can also find information about permits and applications that are specific to certain professions.

Find permits

4. Report the beneficial owners

You must inform the Swedish Companies Registration Office of the identity of the beneficial owners within four weeks. A beneficial owner is the person or persons who own or control the trading or limited partnership.

Report the beneficial owners at the Swedish Companies Registration Office website.

Do you have a Swedish identity number?

If you have a Swedish identity number and e-identification (e-legitimation in Swedish) you can use our e-services on (Mina sidor) for company registration. However, these are only available in Swedish.

Go to the e-services for company registration (in Swedish)


Read more about running a business in Sweden

Did you find this information helpful?

Responsible: Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth

Back to top