Food, drink and lodging

Last updated: 2015-03-11

Here you find information regarding permits for hotels and restaurants.

  • Alcohol licence 

    The serving of alcoholic beverages to the public or private parties for payment requires a licence.

  • Catering 

    It requires a permit in order to conduct a catering business where alcohol is to be served.

  • Control of microbiological criteria in food 

    The use of alternative sampling methods in a business's own controls of foods and food production.

  • Drinking water facility 

    If your business uses water for cooking and drinking from an individual water plant, you must ensure that the drinkingwater meets the quality requirements found...

  • Flavouring of schnapps 

    Notification of flavouring of schnapps for serving in your own restaurant business.

  • Food businesses 

    Every food business facility must be registered or approved as a food establishment.

  • Food production 

    Are you a primary producer producing food at farm level? Your establishment will need to be registered with the County Administrative Board. We are also...

  • Grease separator 

    Cafes, restaurants and other premises where food is prepared release large amounts of fat with the waste water. The grease gets stuck in the drain pipes and...

  • Handle refrigerants 

    Refrigerants are different types of substances used in aggregates, for example in refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners and heat pumps.

  • Hotel and guesthouse operations 

    If you wish to operate a hotel or guesthouse for at least nine guests, or have at least five guest rooms, you need to obtain a permit from the police.

  • Licence for wholesale trade in alcohol (application) 

    A person wanting to conduct wholesale trade in alcoholic beverages must be approved as a warehouseman or registered as a consignee.

  • Manage waste 

    Restaurant  Most of the waste produced in a restaurant is classified as municipal waste. This can mean leftover food, empty packaging, discarded frying...

  • Medium-strong beer 

    The registration with the municipality of the sale or serving of medium-strong beer.

  • Music license from STIM to play music in public premises (application) 

    When you play music to your customers, you need a license from STIM and from SAMI, the two non-profit organisations that manage rights for songwriters...

  • Permission of environmentally hazardous activities, B-activities 

    To start certain environmentally hazardous activities, you must first apply for a permit. It can also apply to changes to a business you are already running.

  • Tastings of alcoholic beverages 

    It requires a permit if you want to organise tastings of alcoholic beverages for the public.

  • Trade in technical spirits and alcoholic preparations 

    Notification of trade in technical spirits and alcoholic preparations.

  • Ventilation control 

    Mandatory ventilation control, OVK, must be done regularly in most buildings. The purpose is to show that the indoor climate is good and that the ventilation...

Responsible: Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth

Go to Your Europe website

Help and advice for EU nationals

Your Europe is an EU website designed to help you do things in other European countries – avoiding unnecessary inconvenience and unnecessary bureaucracy.

I want to leave feedback

Help us improve!

Let us know what you think by rating the page and answering a few questions.