Product Safety

The page was last modified:

Goods and services that you sell must be safe. Many products must be CE marked before they can be sold. Through CE marking, the manufacturer guarantees that the product complies with the EU’s special safety requirements for the product.

CE mark is a mark that certifies that the manufacturer or importer has satisfied the product safety requirements in the EU for this product group. In many instances, the manufacturer or importer is the one responsible for the product’s compliance with the requirements. The exception is for products with special safety requirements. This is an example of a mandatory labelling requirement. There are also voluntary marks that certify goods and services.

In addition to the requirements for safety and marking, your product or service also needs to comply with other requirements, such as the product or service being able to work with other products.

Standards help you meet the requirements laid down in legislation or rules, or by customers. Standards help you to avoid pitfalls, create order and set the requirement levels for goods and services.

When you need to prove that your product, service or process complies with the requirements in a standard or in technical regulations, you can get an independent body to certify, test or check this.

Standards, certification and marking of products and services when doing foreign trade

You will also need to know what chemicals your products contain. If your products contain certain substances, you must inform your customers of this.

Chemicals in your products

Producer responsibility

There is a statutory producer responsibility for electrical and electronic equipment, batteries, packaging, tyres and cars. This means that the producer, and also importers, must take responsibility for products released on the market, and for collecting and recycling them. This producer responsibility applies to both producers and importers in Sweden, and it also applies to exporters and producers in several other EU countries. Many companies fulfil this responsibility by joining a producer responsibility organisation in the country in which they bear responsibility for the products.

Find out more about the e-service for submitting information and applying for permits.

Did you find this information helpful?

Responsible: Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth

Back to top