Being an entrepreneur in Sweden

The page was last modified:

Are you considering starting a company or selling your services in Sweden? As an EU citizen, you have the same rights and obligations as a Swedish entrepreneur.

The freedom of establishment and the freedom to provide services are two fundamental freedoms central to the EU internal market. As an EU citizen, you can operate a business in Sweden and will have the same rights and obligations as Swedish entrepreneurs. You are required to register your company, apply for F-tax and VAT, and a permit if your business activities require one.

Information for citizens from outside EU/EEA

Temporary assignments

If you will be providing a service on a temporary basis, as a consultant or freelancer, you must provide documentary evidence like a certificate or agreement.

The document must show

  • the type of service
  • the length of time you will be offering the service

The document must be in writing and signed by the recipient of the service. The residence permit applies for the duration of the service provision.

Coordination number

If you are providing services for a period exceeding six months, your income will normally be taxed in Sweden. If this is the case, you will be allocated a coordination number when you register with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). This replaces the personal identity number and is used in contacts with authorities, for example, when you apply to the Tax Agency for F-tax.

Personal identity numbers and coordination numbers at the Swedish Tax Agency

Do you need help with setting up your business?

There is plenty of support available for setting up a business in Sweden.

 Find advisors

Company registration and tax


If you want to start a business in Sweden, you need to choose a business form and register with the Swedish authorities.

Did you find this information helpful?

Responsible: Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth

Back to top