Protect your company nameThe page was last modified:
The company name is the face of the company and is intended to make it easier for customers and other parties to find your company. Protect your company name by registering the company via the e-service at verksamt.se or using a form.
Protecting a company name, in brief
- For sole traders, trading partnerships and limited partnerships, the name is protected in the county where the business is located. Limited companies and economic associations get name protection nationwide.
- The exclusive right to a company name applies within the business sector which you have selected when registering the company.
- There are special regulations for each different form of business with regard to what the company name must contain; all limited company names must include the word “aktiebolag” or “AB”, for example.
- If you are starting a sole trader, you do not need to register the name with the Swedish Companies Registration Office. But it can be a good idea to do so, if you want to prevent others from using the same name.
Register via form
If you are unable to use the e-service, you can instead register the company and protect your company name using the paper form.
Examples of company names
- Invented words: Cajin
- Invented words + business words: Cajin Finance.
- Name of a person + business words: Bo Alm’s Carpentry
- Letter combination + business words: CK Bicycle Workshop
- Geographical names + business words: Sundsvall’s Corner Shop.
A company name may not
- just describe the business, such as Bicycle Workshop be easily confused with another company name or trademark
- include words that imply another form of business; for example, a sole proprietorship may not include the abbreviation AB (Swedish for ltd.)
- give the appearance of being a domain address
- contain a word suggesting a business other than the business the company conducts; for example, a company whose company name contains the word “veterinarian” must carry out veterinary activities.
Is the name available?
Using the search feature, you can search for a company name to see if it has already been registered. The actual examination of the company name occurs when your registration is received by the Swedish Companies Registration Office.
Company names and trademarks
A company name is not the same as a trademark.
Act quickly if you want your new company name as a domain name
Having an internet presence in the form of a website requires a domain name. If you want a domain name containing your company name, it is a good idea to register the domain name as soon as possible.
The Swedish Internet Foundation (IIS) has noted that new company names registered with the Swedish Companies Registration Office are systematically registered as domain names by parties other than the company’s representatives. This means that if you have started a company, you will be unable to register the corresponding domain name, as it has already been taken. IIS is therefore encouraging all entrepreneurs who intend to register new company names, and who want a domain name, to register the domain name as soon as possible.
Monitor if your company name has been approved
Using the Swedish Companies Registration Office’s e-service, you can easily find out if your company name has been registered.
Responsible: Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth