Get started – sole trader

The page was last modified:

As a sole trader (self-employed) you are responsible for your company, and run the business as a private person. No starting capital is required for sole traders. You need to register your business with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). You can, but do not have to, register with the Swedish Companies Registration Office (Bolagsverket).

Company registration

1. Tax registration

When starting up as a sole trader, you need to apply for F-tax and VAT registration and, if relevant, register as an employer with the Swedish Tax Agency. You can use our online service to apply for this permit. Your business will be identified by your Swedish personal identity number. If you do not have a personal identity number, you must apply for registration by submitting the SKV 4620 form.

Register for F-tax and VAT (apply online with your Swedish personal identity number)

Form for F-tax and VAT, SKV 4620 (in Swedish)

2. Register a name for your business (optional)

You may have to register your company name with the Swedish Companies Registration Office. This can be required if you want to participate in a public procurement procedure or if your company needs permission to operate a specific type of business. The Swedish Companies Registration Office will send you a registration certificate after your company is registered.

You can also choose to register your company name at a later stage. You must then register it again, since your company name will not appear in the registration office’s registers. You can use our online service to register.

Register sole trader (apply online)

How much does it cost, and how long does it take to register a company?

See fees from the Swedish Companies Registration Office

See current processing times for registering a sole trader business on the Swedish Companies Registration Office website

If your application is rejected

The Swedish Companies Registration Office can decide not to register your company name. In that case, you can choose a new name or add information to your application that will enable your company name to be registered. 

If you want to appeal their decision, follow the instructions in the decision.

3. Other permits and applications

There might be other permits or applications that you need to consider when starting your business.

In our permit search service, you can find permits by category or in our alphabetic list. You can also find information on permits and applications which are specific for a certain profession.

Find permits

Do you have a Swedish identity number?

If you have a Swedish identity number and e-identification (e-legitimation in Swedish) you can use our e-services on (Mina sidor) for company registration. However, these are only available in Swedish.

Go to e-services for company registration (in Swedish)


Read more about running a business in Sweden

Did you find this information helpful?

Responsible: Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth

Back to top