Authorised patent attorney
A patent attorney works with representing companies in patent law matters.
In order to become an authorised patent attorney you must have
- a suitable theoretical degree and work experience
- you must have taken an approved test of knowledge for authorisation
- you must work as a patent attorney
- you must be honest and suitable for work as a patent attorney.
Test of knowledge
In order to be able to apply for authorisation you must first pass the Swedish Patent Attorneys Board's (Patentombudsnämnden) test of knowledge for authorisation. You enter your name for the test by filling in and sending in the form below.
The test of knowledge is comprised of a technical partial test and a partial test concerning specific Swedish legal skills within the patent law field. The Swedish Patent Attorneys Board can grant dispensation for the technical partial test in case the applicant has passed the European Qualifying Examination (EQE). In such case only an approved Swedish legal partial test is required.
In order to take the test of knowledge you must have
- passed at least a master's degree in accordance with the Swedish Higher Education Ordinance (högskoleförordningen) in technology or social science subject as a main area for the course of education or with approved results having undergone some other corresponding education, or passed a bachelor's degree in accordance with the Swedish Higher Education Ordinance with law as the main area for the course of education.
- In addition to this you must have work experience as an assistant in patent law matters for at least four years.
The authorisation is valid until further notice, as long as the you are working with patent law matters and fulfils the ethical requirements that are placed.
Registration and supervision
The Swedish Patent Attorneys Board maintains a register of authorised patent attorneys and is responsible for supervision.
Origin: Swedish Patent Attorneys Board
Responsible: Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth