Healthcare and medicines

Last updated:2016-06-20

This section contains information about regulated professions in the category Healthcare and medicines. For more information and application to excersise your profession in Sweden, choose a link below.

  • Audiologist 

    An audiologist works with evaluation, diagnosis, habilitation and rehabilitation of children and adults with hearing damage and other hearing-related...

  • Biomedical scientist 

    Biomedical scientist work in laboratories in the areas of pathology, microbiology, clinical chemistry, immunology, clinical physiology and genetics. They also...

  • Chiropractor 

    A chiropractor specialises in treating disorders of the musculoskeletal system.

  • Dental hygienist 

    Dental hygienists work with evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of oral hygiene.

  • Dental practitioner 

    A dental practitioner (dentist) work with examination, diagnosis and treatment of disease and anomalies in the teeth, oral cavity, jaws and surrounding tissues...

  • Dietitian 

    Dietitians treat and prevent various nutrition-related conditions and function as a knowledge resource in relation to establishing, improving and maintaining...

  • Doctor of Medicine 

    A doctor work with examination, diagnosis and treatment of the entire body. Doctors work with both children and adults.

  • Medical physicist 

    Medical physicists work primarily in various healthcare fields where radiation is found and where medical imaging is essential to diagnostics and subsequent...

  • Medical specialist 

    Those who want to work as a specialist in Sweden need to have a Swedish licence to practice as a doctor of medicine and recognition of their specialist...

  • Midwife 

    Midwives provide care to women during pregnancy, labour and delivery and post-natal care. Midwives also provides information about sexual and reproductive...

  • Naprapath 

    Naprapaths evaluate, diagnose, treat and rehabilitate pain and dysfunction in the neuromusculoskeletal system.

  • Nurse responsible for general care 

    A nurse responsible for general care work to give people good nursing care in all phases of life and are responsible for meeting the individual’s care needs.

  • Occupational therapist 

    Occupational therapy is aimed at helping the individual manage tasks of daily living, their work and their leisure time.

  • Optician 

    Opticians examine and treat harmless changes in the eyes, perform eye examinations and fit eyeglasses and contact lenses.

  • Orthopaedic engineer 

    Orthopaedic engineers measure, design, make, fit or inspect prostheses and other orthopaedic devices prescribed by doctors. Orthopaedic engineers examine the...

  • Pharmacist 

    Pharmacists have overall responsibility for handling medicines, supplying medicines and quality assurance, as well as for in-depth medicinal advice in...

  • Physiotherapist 

    Physiotherapists treat patients with physical difficulties caused by illness, injury, physical disability or ageing.

  • Prescriptionist 

    A prescriptionist work in pharmacies and have personal professional responsibility in assessing the reasonableness of prescriptions of medicine with regard to...

  • Professions in social child and youth care 

    If you are a trained social worker or equivalent outside of Sweden and will be working in the social services within child and youth care you will need in some...

  • Psychologist 

    Psychologists work primarily with evaluating and treating psychological disorders through talk therapy. Psychologists have knowledge about how the brain and...

  • Psychotherapist 

    Psychotherapists use talk therapy to help people improve their quality of life and mental health and to prevent psychological and social problems.

  • Radiographer 

    A radiographers main field is radiology, which is an interdisciplinary field of knowledge that derives knowledge from the fields of nursing, imaging and...

  • Specialist Dental Practitioner  

    A specialist dental practitioner is a dentist who have proof of a specialist qualification.

  • Speech therapist 

    Speech therapists work with communication skills and evaluate, diagnose and treat children and adults with voice, speech and language difficulties.

Responsible: Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth

Point of Single Contact is the operative place for the Point of Single Contact for service providers from the European Union. is thereby part of the EUGO network. Visit the EUGO website to easily access all EU online e-government portals.

Companies in other EU/EEA countries

In general you will need the same permit whether you want to permanently establish your business or engage in temporary activities in Sweden. This includes notifications and registrations.

Your Europe

Your Europe is an EU website designed to help you do things in other European countries. – avoiding unnecessary inconvenience and unnecessary bureaucracy.