Imports of goods from non-EU countries

The page was last modified:

If you purchase goods from a country outside the EU, it is regarded as importation. When you import, you must pay customs duties and possibly other charges and report import VAT. You must also submit an import customs declaration to Swedish Customs.

Read more about customs duties on imports of goods from non-EU countries

Read more about VAT when importing goods from non-EU countries

Handbook for importing to Sweden

The Handbook for Importing to Sweden is intended for those who plan to start an import business, want to further develop their import activities, or have general questions regarding import. The Handbook for Importing to Sweden is published (in Swedish) by Chamber Trade Sweden.

Read more about the Handbook for Importing to Sweden, on Chamber Trade Sweden’s website

The Norway-Sweden Border Service

The country outside the EU we have the most trading with is our neighbour, Norway. The Norwegian-Sweden border service has coordinated information from public authorities in both Sweden and Norway. The information is intended for companies that want to undertake assignments, trade with customers, or establish a company in Norway.

Read more about the Border Service, on the Border Service’s website (in Swedish)

Øresund Direct Business

Øresund Direct Business is a guide for companies that are conducting or planning to start-up business operations in the Oresund region. You will find information here about the recruitment of employees, forming companies, plus the market and trade between Denmark and Sweden.

Read more about Øresund Direct Business, on ØresundDirekt Business’ website (in Swedish)

Nordkalotten’s Border Service

Nordkalotten’s Border Service has customers in Finland, Norway and Sweden. The service provides relevant and up-to-date information that assists companies that operate on both sides of the border. In addition, the Border Service works to remove barriers to border trade.

Read more about the Nordkalotten Border Service, on the Nordkalotten Border Service’s website

Sales in free circulation – Free movement of goods

After the customs clearance, a product is available in free circulation and can be sold throughout the EU/EEA area. One precondition is that it is lawful to sell the product in Sweden.

For some goods, the EU has common and basic requirements in terms of health, environmental protection and safety. Such goods must be CE marked. The importer is responsible for ensuring that the goods are CE marked and that they comply with the requirements for the CE mark.

Read more about CE marking

When you import goods that are not encompassed within EU rules, the product requirements that are found in Swedish rules and regulations are applicable.

If you would like to find out what rules exist for goods in Sweden, contact the Contact Point For Goods. In Sweden, this is located at the National Board of Trade.

Read more about the Contact Point For Goods, on the National Board of Trade’s website

Import restrictions

For certain goods, special rules and regulations will apply. These must be taken into consideration when you want to transport the goods into Sweden from either a country outside or within the EU. In some cases, you may need a licence or authorisation. Contact the responsible authority for the area.

More examples of goods where there may be special rules can be found on Swedish Customs’ website. Information about which public authorities you should contact is also available there.

Read more about the rules and which public authorities you should contact, on Swedish Customs’ website

Did you find this information helpful?

Responsible: Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth

Back to top