The page was last modified:

Here is a collection of information about Brexit for people who run a business.

Support to companies for increased costs due to Brexit

Companies (excluding the fisheries and aquaculture sector) that have incurred costs linked to Brexit will be able to apply for support for the period 1 January 2020 until 31 December 2023.

Another regulation regarding support for the fisheries and aquaculture sector will come later this spring.

The opportunity to apply for support will be published on the Swedish ESF Council's website. Each call sets out specific conditions for the application and for those eligible to apply.

The possibility to apply for support is scheduled to open in August.

Read more on the Swedish ESF Council's website (in Swedish)

The EU and the United Kingdom have agreed on a trade and cooperation agreement that came into force on 1 January 2021. The agreement states that import to and export from the UK will be handled as import and export to a country outside the EU. 

Trade in goods

How customs work when trading with the United Kingdom

As the United Kingdom is no longer part of the EU, customs formalities and the submission of customs declarations are now required.

The agreement also states that no duty will be levied, as long as the product meets the conditions of origin. If your goods do not meet the conditions of proof of origin, the UK customs tariff applies.

Brexit at the Swedish Customs

UK's new trade tariff at the UK government's website

How VAT works when trading with the United Kingdom

When you sell or buy goods that are transported between Sweden and countries outside the EU, it is called export. Trade with the United Kingdom is now seen as an export and the same VAT rules apply to the United Kingdom as to other countries outside the EU. With regard to goods, however, there is an exception for Northern Ireland, which will continue to be seen as an EU country.

How VAT is affected by Brexit at the Swedish Tax Agency (In Swedish)

The Free Trade Agreement

The Free Trade Agreement also regulates trade in services and guarantees that most services sold from EU countries will be treated as domestic services in the UK and vice versa. However, mutual recognition of services no longer applies, which means that your service is not automatically approved in the UK. The Free Trade Agreement does not regulate all services. If you are unsure what applies to the services you sell, please contact the relevant Swedish and British authorities.

Trade in services

Transfer of data and personal data

Personal data may usually not be exported outside the EU. To do so, a so-called adequacy decision is required. This means that the country meets the EU level of protection for personal data. There is currently no such adequacy decision, but the EU has decided that personal data may be transferred to the UK for the first four months. This period can be extended by two months. The European Commission has not yet made an adequacy decision but intends to do so soon.

Read the fully agreement at the European Commission’s website
Brexit at the National Board of Trade (in Swedish)

Did you find this information helpful?

Responsible: Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth

Back to top