Last updated: 2022-03-11

Registration of a branch with the Swedish Companies Registration Office (applies solely to foreign companies).

Information about branches

Foreign companies that wish to operate their businesses in Sweden can do so via a branch office with independent management.

The following applies to a branch or branch office:
•    A company can only have one branch and it must be represented by a managing director
•    The branch is not a separate legal entity, but rather a part of a foreign company
•    The branch's business activities in Sweden are subject to Swedish law and Swedish government agencies.
•    A branch has no shareholders' equity; its assets are part of the foreign parent company’s total assets.
•    A branch it to keep its own accounts, separate from the foreign company.
•    The branch’s accounting and administration is to be audited by an authorised public accountant when required.

A foreign company within the European Economic Area (EEA) that carries on temporary business activities consisting of services in Sweden does not need to register a branch.


You register the branch with the Swedish Companies Registration Office.

Origin: Swedish Companies Registration Office

How to register

You must include the following documentation with your application:

  • certification that the foreign company is duly formed and registered
  • certification that the foreign company is not in bankruptcy
  • Articles of Association, by-laws or an equivalent document that applies to the foreign company
  • the foreign company's financial statements for the past two years
  • Power of Attorney for the branch's Managing Director and Deputy Managing Director
  • a document that confirms the foreign company board members authorisation to sign a Power of Attorney such as a registration certificate or certificate from a Notary Public
  • a copy of the passports for the branch MD and Deputy MD if they are not registered in Sweden
  • a copy of the passports for the company signatories who are not registered in Sweden if the foreign company is a bank.

Use the application form (pdf) linked above. 

You must pay a fee before the Swedish Companies Registration Office can begin processing your registration application.

Contact information

+46 771-670670

Related pages

Responsible: Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth

Go to Your Europe website

Help and advice for EU nationals

Your Europe is an EU website designed to help you do things in other European countries – avoiding unnecessary inconvenience and unnecessary bureaucracy.

I want to leave feedback

Help us improve!

Let us know what you think by rating the page and answering a few questions.