Tips for sustainable event planningThe page was last modified:
Regardless of what type of event you plan to organise, you should consider how to make your event as sustainable as possible in terms of the environment, people and economy. Bring aspects of sustainability into the planning at an early stage.
Here are our best tips for organising a sustainable event:
- As transport is a major contributor to climate change, choose a location based on the transport options available. Recommend visitors to travel by bus to the event. Show the best bus routes and provide links to timetables.
- Choose an appropriate location for your event whilst bearing in mind how the local eco-systems such as land and water as well as the local residents will be impacted by the increase in noise and traffic. Keep the dialogue going with local residents to avoid discontent and possible complaints.
- Collaborate primarily with local actors for a better environment and increased employment in the region.
- Make demands for increased sustainability among suppliers of materials and products. These must not contain any harmful sub-stances and should be as recyclable or reusable as possible.
- Avoid using disposable products and strive to only use products with approved eco-labelling such as the Nordic Swan (Svanen), Good Environmental Choice (Bra miljöval), EU Ecolabel or GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard).
- Remember to ask for recycling containers when contacting the waste management company assigned to collect waste from the event site.
- Prioritise digital communications and avoid printed material as far as possible.
- Whenever possible, choose locally produced organic food. Remember to mention that it is organic food you sell and charge a little more, if necessary.
- If serving meat, bear in mind that game and poultry have the lowest environmental impact. By choosing right, the environmental and climate impact of your event can be significantly reduced.
- Avoid serving bottled water and uphold standards in line with labelling such as KRAV, Fairtrade and MSC.
- By spreading the word about your sustainability efforts, a positive marketing of the event is created at the same time as you set a good example for other organisers to follow.
Links and further reading
Active checklist for event organisers
Stockholm City's Guide to Sustainable Events
Pantamera Association Concept
Responsible: Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth