Get started – economic association

The page was last modified:

You need to register the economic association with the Swedish Companies Registration Office (Bolagsverket). You also need to register your business with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). No starting capital is required for an economic association.

Company registration

1. Register with the Swedish Companies Registration Office

Registration has to take place no later than six months after the decision was taken to form the association. They will send you a registration certificate after your company is registered. Following registration, the association becomes a legal person and is provided with nationwide protection for its name. You can use our online service to register.

Registration of an economic association (in Swedish)

How long does it take to register an economic association and how much does it cost?

See current processing times for registering an economic association on the Swedish Companies Registration Office website

See fees

If your application is rejected

The Swedish Companies Registration Office can decide not to register your association’s name. In that case, you can choose a new name or add information to your registration application that will enable your association’s name to be registered. 

If you want to appeal their decision, follow the instructions in the decision.

2. Tax registration

Once the association is registered with the Swedish Companies Registration Office and has been allocated a corporate identity number, you can register the association with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). You need to apply for F-tax and VAT registration as well as register as an employer (if you are going to have employees).

Applying to be approved for F-tax, VAT registration and employer registration is free of charge.

You can use our e-services or fill out our form when applying for F-tax.

Apply for F-tax and VAT (apply online)

F-tax in the Swedish Tax Agency´s brochure 

3. Report the beneficial owners

You must inform the Swedish Companies Registration Office of the identity of the beneficial owners within four weeks. A beneficial owner is the person or persons who own or control the economic association.

Report the beneficial owners on the Swedish Companies Registration Office website

4. Other permits

There might be other permits or registrations that you need to consider when starting your business.

In our service Find permits you can find permits by category or in our list from A to Ö. You can also find information on permits and registrations which are specific for a certain profession.

Find permits

Do you have a Swedish identity number?

If you have a Swedish identity number and e-identification (e-legitimation in Swedish) you can use our e-services on (Mina sidor) for company registration. However, these are only available in Swedish.

Go to e-services for company registration (in Swedish)

Did you find this information helpful?

Responsible: Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth

Back to top