Customs duty on imports of goods from the EU

The page was last modified:

The EU is a common market and goods can, in principle, travel over country borders without inspections or charges. However, parts of the EU are outside the EU’s common tax areas, and other rules apply to them.

Imports from areas located in the EU but outside the customs or tax area

If you import goods from an EU region that is not part of the EU tax area, you need to declare the goods at Swedish Customs. You will then report import VAT to the Swedish Tax Agency. You will not pay customs duties.

If you import goods from an area not included in the Customs Union, you must make an import declaration of the goods at Swedish Customs. The same rules apply with importation from non-EU countries. Therefore, you may have to pay customs duty.

Read more about areas that are not part of the EU’s common tax area, on Swedish Customs’ website (in Swedish)

Read more about imports of goods from non-EU countries

EORI number for customs declaration of goods

To declare the goods, you will need a special registration number. It is called an EORI number.

Read more about this and apply for EORI number, on Swedish Customs’ website

Goods with import restrictions

For certain goods there are special import rules, and in come case you may even need a license or permit. Before you import, it’s important to check what is applicable for your particular product.
Read more about goods with import restrictions, on Swedish Customs’ website

Contact Tullverket/Swedish Customs

Phone Swedish Customs’ offices for assistance with any customs matters or questions. The telephone number is 0771-520 520. If you are calling from abroad, phone +46 771 520 520.

Ask your question via an e-mail form

Swedish Customs training in customs matters

Swedish Customs regularly offers courses and informational meetings concerning customs issues all around Sweden, for companies engaged in international trade.

Read more about Swedish Customs’ educational activities, on Swedish Customs’ website (in Swedish)

Did you find this information helpful?

Responsible: Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth

Back to top