Certification, control and testing

The page was last modified:

When you must prove that your product or service meets the requirements in a standard or in technical regulations, then certification, control and testing are the most common ways to do so.

Through certification you receive a certificate showing that your product, service or system meets the requirements in a specific standard.

Sometimes it is up to you to decide whether you certify your products and services. But it can also be compulsory under laws or regulations or the agreement you have made with your customer.

Control is about regularly inspecting a product when it is in use so as to ensure that it meets specific requirements.

Testing often concerns certain characteristics of a product, for example material strength for toys, fire risks for clothing and pinching and cutting risks of folding chairs.

Are you uncertain about what applies to your product or service?

Contact your industry organisation. They can give you information about standards and the position regarding certification, control and testing in your industry.

Read more about industry organisations on the website of the Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth (in Swedish)

Accredited organisations simplify trade

When you have to certify, test or control your product or service, you can engage organisations accredited by Swedac. Being accredited means that they are approved to carry out analysis, testing, calibration, certification and control.

You can find out which accredited bodies can issue certificates in your area of operations on Swedac’s website.

Read more about accredited bodies on Swedac’s website (in Swedish)

If you use an accredited organisation, it may be easier to export your products, or to import. There are international agreements that mean that certification and testing performed by an accredited organisation in Sweden can be approved in other countries and vice versa.

There are different kinds of international agreements that apply to different countries.

Contact Swedac for more information on Swedac ‘s website

Did you find this information helpful?

Responsible: Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth

Back to top