Moving to Sweden to start a business

Foreign citizens wishing to start their own company in Sweden are subject to different rules depending on whether they are citizens of a EU/EEA country or citizens of a non-EU/EEA country.

The page was last modified:

EU citizens

As an EU citizen, you have the same rights and obligations as a Swedish entrepreneur. Migration information for Nordic and EU-citizens

Back to top

Non EU/EEA citizens need residence permit

If you come from a country outside EU and plan to work for a period longer than three months to start up or run your own business, you must have a residence permit.
Migration information for non EU/EEA citizens
Information for asylum seekers

Find out more about moving to Sweden at official sites:

Frequently asked questions


Did you find this information helpful?

Yes No

Thank you for your feedback!

Please help us improve by telling us what you think about the page. If you would like to receive a reply from us, please enter your email address.