Being an entrepreneur

Are you considering starting a company or selling your services in Sweden? As an EU citizen, you have the same rights and obligations as a Swedish entrepreneur.

The page was last modified:

The freedom of establishment and the freedom to provide services are two fundamental freedoms central to the EU internal market. This means that, as an EU citizen, you may operate a business in Sweden and have the same rights and obligations as Swedish entrepreneurs. For example, you are required to register your company, apply for F-tax and VAT and a permit if your business activities require one.

Back to top

Registering with the Swedish Migration Board

As an EU citizen, you have right of residence in Sweden. This means you may stay in Sweden for more than three months without a residence permit. You are required to register with the Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket) no later than three months after your arrival in Sweden. If you work in Sweden but reside in another EU country and return there at least once a week, there is no requirement to register in Sweden.

Before you can register with the Swedish Migration Board as self-employed, you must be able to show evidence of company registration or other documents showing that you have your own company. This is why it is important to contact the Swedish Companies Registration Office (Bolagsverket) and the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) to register your company first.

Providers of services must also show other documents in addition to copies of passports or ID document when registering. These documents may describe the type of service and the duration of the service provision. The document must be in writing and signed by the recipient of the service.

Back to top

Coordination number

If you are providing services for a period exceeding six months, your income will normally be taxed in Sweden. If this is the case, you will be allocated a coordination number when you register with the Swedish Tax Agency. This replaces the personal identity number and is used in contacts with authorities, for example, when you apply to the Tax Agency for F-tax.

Do you need help with setting up your business?

There is plenty of support available for setting up a business in Sweden.

 Find advisors


Did you find this information helpful?

Yes No

Thank you for your feedback!

Please help us improve by telling us what you think about the page. If you would like to receive a reply from us, please enter your email address.